PROPERTY BOUNDARY PROTECTION AS REQUIRED IN BCA CLAUSE C3.4
Project: VUE Apartments, ACT
Architect: Marchese Partners
Fire Engineer: Rudds Consulting Engineers
Developer: GEOCON Constructors
Application: Property Boundary Protection
Completion: June 2012
The developer desires to build their apartment building up to the property boundary. As the openings to the car park are within 3m of the property boundary each opening needs to be fire separated by -/60/- fire rating as required under BCA Clause C3.4.
Each opening could not be closed with a fire wall due to the building permit having the inclusion of an open air car park and the cost to make a change to the building permit at such a late stage in the development was cost prohibitive.
Coopers FireMaster® Active Fire Curtain Barriers were able to be installed across each opening that was within 3m of the property boundary and will automatically close on any alarm activation in the car park. FireMaster®, under controlled fail-safe by gravity, was able to be installed within a 3 month period from initial contact and allowed for the area to be kept open unless there is a fire alarm activation. This means that the requirements on the building permit for an open air car park is met.
FireMaster® was proven to work in the external environment with the largest curtain size being 8m wide and 6m high with the total length protected being over 100m!
- Cost saving by not having to change the building permit and building use
- Fast delivery time and easily incorporated into the building design
- Standard product and finish fit in to the design of the building
- Allowed the builder to open their building on time and meet the building design requirements
- Small compact and light weight components meant that no additional structural supports or changes were required